Custom fields in your accounting software are data fields that you can define yourself. They are typically associated with customers, vendors, employees, and items. Custom fields can help you store and classify additional information about these categorizes within your business.
Custom fields add functionality to your accounting system. Below is a list of practical uses for custom fields from your favorite Orange County Bookkeepers:
- Customer’s staff contact or sales rep. – if customers are assigned a particular staff member or sales rep, you can add their name in a custom field.
- Frequency of service – daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly.
- Warehouse location
- Type of customer; for example: hospital, pharmacy, retirement homes.
- Referring physician
- Preferred method of contact: email, phone, fax, text, chat.
- License number
Some software allow you to choose the type of custom field you want to add. In some cases, this allows for more streamlined information, as the data can be limited to a certain type or certain values upon entry. Here are the most common types:
- Free form text – this is the default type; it can come as a single line or paragraph.
- Checkbox – choose one or more values from a limited number of choices.
- Radio button – choose only one value from a limited number of choices.
- Dropdown – choose a value from a dropdown list.
- File upload – add an attachment.
- Image upload – upload an image that will be displayed.
- Date/time – enter a date or time.
- Number – enter a number; it can be currency, integer, or another quantifying number.
Custom fields allow you to meet your company’s unique needs exceeding what the software provides by default. It is a great way to create data that is more meaningful to you. If you have ideas for custom fields in your accounting software and want help setting them up, feel free to give your favorite Orange County Bookkeepers a call anytime.